Wide Turn Truck Accidents Lawyer
Driving a commercial truck requires considerable skill and a special license. One of the things that drivers must learn to do is make wide turns safely. However, this can be a complicated driving maneuver, especially in town and crowded intersections. Even the slightest mistake or misjudgment can lead to an accident that hurts you.
At Tomeny | Best Injury Lawyers, we understand the unique challenges you face after a truck accident, and our team is here to fight for you. For more than three decades, our Baton Rouge semi-truck accident attorneys have stood up for injury victims and helped them seek the compensation they deserve. We work every day to hold truck drivers and truck owners accountable for the injuries they cause. We will be here for you every step of the way.
A wide-turn truck accident can leave you with questions about your case and your future. But at Tomeny | Best Injury Lawyers, we believe that knowledge is power, and we’re ready to arm you with answers. That’s why we offer a free confidential consultation about your case. For yours, call us or reach out online now.
What Are Wide Turn Truck Accidents?
What is a wide turn in driving? It’s when a semi-truck takes a turn that is too wide for the area it’s operating in. To put it another way, trucks (especially those with long trailers) can’t turn on a dime. They need to take certain steps and precautions when making turns. Due to the shape and size of a semi truck, the driver must swing to the left before negotiating a right turn.
If a driver takes a turn incorrectly, it can send the truck and its trailer into oncoming traffic. A semi-truck could hit a car next to it or trap a vehicle between the semi and the curb, potentially crushing the smaller vehicle.
Common Causes of Wide Turn Accidents
Wide-turn truck accident lawyers know that there are many reasons why these types of collisions can occur. They also know that many truck accidents caused by wide turns could be avoided. That’s because a lot of accidents are caused by driver issues, such as:
- Inadequate truck driver training. Truck drivers need deep knowledge and experience to do their jobs right. Sadly, some drivers just don’t have the training they need to operate on the road safely. When drivers fail to get the training they need, you could be the one hurt.
- Drunk or drugged driving. No one should be on the road while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Truck drivers should know this better than anyone. But too many times, truck drivers operate their vehicles when they shouldn’t. The result can be a lasting injury to you.
- Driver failure or error. Some intersections are small and require a highly skilled driver. In certain types of turns, such as jug handle turns and button hook turns, the driver may not have the skill or judgment necessary to execute the turn successfully. This can easily cause accidents.
- Lack of communication. Drivers need to let other drivers know about their plans. They can communicate through turn signals, hand gestures, the truck’s horn, and other means. But too many drivers act as if they’re the only ones on the road, and their failure to communicate their plans can result in a wide turn accident.
- Failure to monitor surroundings. Truck drivers need to know what’s happening around them at all times. That means they need to check their blind spots and proceed with caution. When they don’t, they can easily hurt those around them.
- Inadequate rest. Truckers who haven’t gotten rest are more likely to make mistakes. That’s why there are strict federal rules in place to ensure that drivers take breaks and get the sleep they need. If a truck driver doesn’t get enough rest, they can make mistakes that could lead to an accident.
- Impatience. Truck drivers need to wait for the right moment to make a turn. But that doesn’t always happen. Sometimes they’re on a tight schedule, or they just don’t want to wait. They can act too quickly, endangering themselves and others on the road.
Problems with the truck could also be to blame, including defective or missing mirrors, mirror adjustments, turn signals, or brake lights. When a truck’s mirrors or lights are not working properly, other motorists cannot anticipate their actions.
Injuries Caused by Wide Turn Truck Accidents
Truck accidents can devastate lives. They can take away your ability to work, leave you in pain, and even threaten your life. Wide turn accidents can result in significant injuries, such as:
- Spinal cord injuries – Damage to the spinal cord can result in life-threatening conditions and problems. Paralysis, muscle spasms, and loss of sensation are only a few of the serious problems that could arise after an injury.
- Head injuries – In a wide-turn truck accident, you could easily end up with a head injury. Trucks can strike you with sudden and tremendous force, leading to skull fractures, bleeding, and other dangerous injuries.
- Whiplash – If a truck strikes your vehicle, you could suffer whiplash, which is caused when the neck suddenly jolts back and forth because of impact. Whiplash can damage your neck, reduce your range of motion, and result in long-term pain.
- Traumatic brain injuries – Truck accidents can result in more than broken bones and bruises. Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) are common after truck accidents. They can cause dizziness, nausea, loss of memory, the loss of the ability to think clearly, and many other serious problems. These major injuries can cause a lifetime of problems for you and even take away your ability to earn a living.
- Broken bones – Many truck accidents cause broken bones. These painful injuries can reduce your mobility and your ability to work.
- Cuts and disfigurement – Accidents can involve broken glass, shards of metal, and many other threats. A wide-turn truck accident could leave you with cuts, scarring, and even permanent disfigurement.
- Internal injuries – Not all injuries are obvious following a truck accident. Sometimes a truck can hit you with enough force to tear or rupture internal organs. These injuries can require surgery to fix, and they can even endanger your life. Because you may not be aware of these injuries, it’s essential to get checked out immediately after an accident.
Pursuing Compensation After a Wide Turn Truck Accident
If you’ve been injured in a wide-turn truck accident, a truck accident lawyer can help you understand your options. They can let you know who might be held liable and what compensation could be available, such as:
- The cost of medical care – The medical expenses of a wide-turn truck accident can add up fast. Hospital stays, surgeries, therapy, and medication can quickly drain your resources and leave you worrying about the future. As part of a wide-turn truck accident claim, a truck accident lawyer can pursue the cost of the care you need in the future, as well as payment for the medical expenses you have already incurred.
- Property damage – Truck accidents can destroy your vehicle, even at lower speeds. As part of a claim, you could pursue compensation for the cost to repair or replace your vehicle.
- Lost wages and diminished earning potential – Truck accidents often cause accident victims to miss work while they seek treatment for their injuries and recover. They can even prevent you from working in the future. As part of a wide-turn truck accident claim, you can seek compensation for the wages you lost and the effect the accident has on your future earning potential.
- Pain and suffering – An accident can cause serious physical injuries, but they can leave emotional scars too. As part of a claim, you may seek compensation for the pain, suffering, and other lasting anguish you suffer because of an accident.
After a wide-turn truck accident, these and many other types of compensation may be available in your case. To learn more, speak with an experienced truck accident lawyer.
How Tomeny | Best Injury Lawyers Can Help
A wide-turn truck accident is a serious accident that demands a serious response. That’s where Tomeny | Best Injury Lawyers can help. Our wide turn truck accident lawyers have represented accident victims throughout the region for over thirty years, and we have the experience, resources, and personal touch you deserve.
We know truck accidents, and we’re always here to answer your questions after an accident. From wide turn truck accidents to negligence and driver error accidents, we’ve helped clients through them all. We’ve secured millions in verdicts and settlements for accident victims after truck accidents. We offer a free and confidential consultation so that you can review your legal options. There’s no upfront cost, and we only get paid when we secure compensation for you.
Contact an Experienced Truck Accident Attorney in Baton Rouge
After a wide turn truck accident, talk with Tomeny | Best Injury Lawyers as soon as you can. Our experienced truck accident lawyers can listen to you, answer your questions, and help you understand your next steps. We’ll map out a plan for your case that’s tailored to your goals and needs.
With aggressive advocacy and real results, we’re here to help you. For your free, confidential consultation, call us or contact us online now. There’s no reason to wait.