What to Do after a Louisiana Car Accident
Even if you are a safe, defensive driver, it’s just not possible to avoid every wreck in Louisiana. If another driver slides into you on a wet road or a drunk driver makes a sudden turn on I-10, you just might not have the time to react. It’s normal to feel lost, helpless, and afraid in the first few minutes after a Louisiana wreck, especially if you or a loved one has serious injuries. If you are suddenly involved in a car wreck in Baton Rouge, do you know what to do?
If you are able, there are some steps you should take immediately after the wreck:
- Step 1: Get calm. It is normal to feel panic or anxiety immediately after a wreck. Take a moment to calm down, take a deep breath, and get oriented. Taking a moment to get your head together will mean you are better able to handle everything that comes next.
- Step 2: Get safe. If you are unable to get out of the car, keep your seat belt fastened. Turn on your hazard lights, and call 911. If the wreck was minor, and you’re able to get out of the car, set up flares or cones to warn other drivers.
- Step 3: Check for injuries. Assess your own injuries and any injuries your passengers may have sustained in the wreck. You may need to stay on the line with 911 workers, who will walk you through any emergency first aid that is required while you wait for the ambulance.
- Step 4: Report the wreck. Whether you are speaking with a 911 operator or a police dispatcher, you will need to be prepared to tell them where you are, if there are any injuries, and if there is a fire or traffic hazard. If the police do not come to the scene, be sure to file a report after the wreck.
- Step 5: Get information. If you have not been injured in the wreck, or if your injuries are minor, get the other driver’s name, address, phone number, insurance information, and license plate number.
- Step 6: Take notes. If you feel up to it, take note of the make and model of both cars, what direction each of the cars was coming from, the roads, traffic signs, and any damage. Any pictures, reports, and tangible evidence that you can keep will be very beneficial in helping to better understand the situation.
- Step 7: Speak with a Baton Rouge car wreck attorney. Don’t sign anything before you are able to speak with an attorney. Especially if you were injured, it becomes very important to protect your rights and get a professional opinion on your situation.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a Baton Rouge car accident, call the Tomeny | Best Injury Lawyers to meet with an experienced Baton Rouge car accident attorney in a FREE consultation. In our initial meeting, I will work with you to explain the next steps and answer your questions. Give me a call as soon as possible at (888) 483-8842 to get started. I look forward to meeting you.